Wednesday, July 4, 2012

War on Diabetes


I am declaring war on diabetes.

I can’t think of a better army to fight this war than the Lions Club. There are no doubts in my mind about the urgency of this war. Aside from declaring World War III, I see no greater threat to America’s health and safety than diabetes.

I have had my personal battles with this “silent killer.” It almost ended my life seven years ago. So there’s no shortage of motivation as I take on the assignment as the District 39 W diabetes chair. I look forward to working with District Governor Ashley Seymour to raise awareness about diabetes. For the last year, I have been speaking to Lions Clubs, talking about my complications and the disease on a broader scope. My hope is to speak to all Lions Clubs in the district and encourage fellow Lions to join me on the front lines of this “war.” I also will use this space to explore the issue in greater depth and promote organizations such as St. Luke’s Humphreys Diabetes Center and dedicated individuals who are making tremendous efforts to make the Treasure Valley a healthier community. 

Diabetes awareness is one of the centerpieces of the Lions Club’s overall mission, given the connection between the disease and eyesight. That’s why I joined the Lions Club a little more than a year ago, and that’s why I want to take diabetes awareness to a higher level.

I am a native Idahoan and spent more than 40 years as a newspaper editor writer – including work with what is now the Moscow-Pullman Daily News, the Post Register in Idaho Falls and the Idaho Statesman, where I am doing part-time work. My wife, Vicki, and I have been married for almost 22 years and have lived in Boise for 13 years.

So why is diabetes such a threat to America’s health and safety? The proof is in the numbers, both at home and worldwide. One person dies from diabetes every seven seconds, accounting to 4.6 million deaths a year worldwide. In America, almost 26 million people have this horrible disease and another 79 million people have this ticking time-bomb called “pre-diabetes.” The annual cost for treating diabetes is $174 billion. It is swallowing up our Medicare and Medicare budgets.

We cannot count on the president, Congress or state legislatures to solve the problem. But we can count on organizations, such as the Lions Club, to put in the time and effort it takes to move these alarming numbers in a more positive direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment